To everyone following me by RSS who’s forgetten about it: boo!
So, yeah, I basically haven’t blogged for a year. Sorry about that. I stopped running because of weather and colds and logistic problems, and of course these days all the action is on Facebook and Twitter, so this poor place has been neglected.
HOWEVER! There are things to write about. For one thing, I’ve been running again – this time much more successfully; I’ll say more about that in another post, but for now suffice to say a more minimal approach – running with Vibram FiveFingers and without music – has proven key for me.
More pressingly, I have to start blogging again today lest I miss a great opportunity…
In November 2001, I went to China for 10 days, to walk on the Great Wall raising money for the National Star College. It was an incredible and literally life-changing experience, and while I kept a trip diary while I was out there, I’ve never published its contents.
So now’s the time. For the next couple of weeks, I’ll be publishing blog posts containing my diary from 10 years ago. I hope you enjoy it.
Links to individual posts:
- Sunday 4th November 2001 – departure day
- Monday 5th November 2001 – flying to China, driving to the wall
- Tuesday 6th November 2001 – trek day 1, Huangyauguan Pass
- Wednesday 7th November 2001 – trek day 2, Simatai to Jinshanling
- Thursday 8th November 2001 – trek day 3, Mutianyu
- Friday 9th November 2001 – trek day 4, Huanghuacheng
- Saturday 10th November – trek day 5, Juyongguan
- Sunday 11th November – Beijing, day 1
- Monday 12th November – Beijing, day 2
- Tuesday 13th November – final day, returning to UK
Google Earth KMZ file of the whole trip with (approximate) paths for the trek days.