If only there was a separate radio fee…

Your opinions, please:

As of the 10th of April, the Gimboland household will once again be television-free, and thus free of the obligation to pay for a TV licence. The Gimboland household will, however, continue to love such gems as Late Junction, Rob da Bank, Radio 4 (except the plays, obviously), and the BBC’s online presence in general. All of the above are funded by the licence fee, so the question is: should we in fact continue paying it? I’m half tempted, despite the lack of a legal obligation, simply because I do so value the BBC, in all its commercial-free glory. It has been said by wiser humans than I that the fee is worth it just for Radio 4, and that’s not entirely untrue, I’d say.

Thoughts?

6 Responses to “If only there was a separate radio fee…”

1. March 29th, 2007 | 12:25 am

It’s probably worth it, just to avoid being harassed by the license inspectors.

Could you just get a TV tuner so there’s always something available so you can record documentaries or anything interesting that you might fancy? Have you given up on TV entirely? (a good thing, don’t get me wrong)

2. March 29th, 2007 | 3:35 am

On one hand, I say yea.

On t’other, I say nay.

Very helpful, I know! ;-)

Definitely leaning to yea…

3. March 29th, 2007 | 9:26 am

The inspectors point is a good one, although I can probably live with ignoring a letter every three months saying “HAVE U PAID YOURE FEE???!!!!1111″

If we get a TV tuner then we are obliged to pay the fee again; however, yeah, we’re pretty much giving up on broadcast TV – put it that way. What with DVD rentals, borrowed stuff, and the plethora of excellent free content online (not to mention the more variable stuff), we feel we just don’t need to have n channels broadcast directly into the house any more.

If we do buy any new hardware, it’ll be a nice Apple display. ;-)

Hairy Branson buying NTL didn’t help much, and the whole Sky One/Two handbag-fight really convinced us that the whole pay TV thing was a stupid waste of time. There really is not enough on pay TV that is worth supporting the efforts of these two protagonists for, if you ask me — certainly nothing that can’t be got elsewhere.

It’s also about choosing between a push and pull model. With TV, we’re too inclined to just sit and watch; with our new model, if we want to watch something, we have to choose not only to watch, but what to watch. Oh yeah, I forgot to include the highly motivational quote which also helped us make up our minds:

Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye.

Bill Hicks

It’s also, on that basis, ultimately about not watching anything a damn sight more.

Hmmm. This comment’s content should really have been in the main post, shouldn’t it? :-)

4. March 29th, 2007 | 9:36 am

I think the BBC is an absolute gem but I rarely watch any TV, Beeb-programming or otherwise. This is probably due to a combination of being fussy about what I’ll watch and not having a TV for the year in Mumbles. These days I simply forget to watch TV because it’s so out of routine. I don’t miss it :)

5. April 12th, 2007 | 10:23 am

To cancel NTL/Virgin: 33 minutes on the phone – most of it on hold.

To cancel TV licence: 3 minutes on the phone. (Was assured account would be marked as “don’t hassle these dudes”.)

6. April 14th, 2007 | 3:47 am

Theres always Joost if you want to watch some tv, check out joost.com, it may not be as good as the BBC but it something.