Why the Sony Ericsson w800i sucks

GOD DAMN it!

I used to own a Sony Ericsson k700i and it was a great little phone except that it really sucked in that it only had capacity for 100 text messages. Never mind it had 64Mb or so for photos and music – 100 short messages is all you’re getting, buckaroo!

Well, I upgraded recently to the super shiny w800i – this is the Walkman branded thing, and it’s a very very nice phone. Great interface, great camera, records sound, blah, blah, blah. Oh yeah, and it’s got a little stick in the side which gives it a memory of 512Mb. Half a gigabyte. Double the memory of the laptop I’m typing on right now, in fact.

The bastard thing has just cheerfully told me “Text memory over 95% full – delete some messages now?” No you fucker! I don’t want to delete some messages now!!! Your memory is empty you stupid piece of shit!

Apologies for the swearing but god damn it I’m angry. I mean, I knew the salesman with the Toni and Guy haircut had no fucking clue what he was talking about when he said it didn’t have this text/sms memory limit problem, but all the same, I really thought they’d have sorted this stupid stupid bug out by now. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of shoddy programming in a product this advanced.

GaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

/me goes and kills someone

12 Responses to “Why the Sony Ericsson w800i sucks”

1. Seyhan
    April 12th, 2006 | 11:09 pm

1. I just checked with one of my friends who have this phone, and they cofirmed that they had it, too. It’s rather lame, considering that even my Nokia 6630 spills SMS data over to the SD Card should the matter arise, but it hasn’t since i’ve yet to use up the 10MB onboard, let alone the 256 SDCard i have.

2. Go bash Matt Jones, see if he can break some wrists at Sony-Erricsson, heh.

3. You leave Toni and Guy haircuts out of this ;)

2. April 13th, 2006 | 11:04 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever heard you swear before. *shock*

Mind you, I don’t think many people think about that, because they don’t save their text messages.

3. Seyhan
    April 13th, 2006 | 11:52 pm

I save my texts, mainly the very sentimental ones. I have two and a bit flings worth of texts on my phone, it saves that many.

4. April 14th, 2006 | 10:46 am

Well, I’ve got one or two saved ones, but other than that I don’t have any worth keeping. Maybe I should get Stewart to send me more lovey-dovey texts…

5. April 22nd, 2006 | 9:28 am

Same problem with my Nokia… :(

6. Simon
    April 23rd, 2006 | 10:07 pm

Even worse news; the recently released Sony W810i for pretty much the same price, offers double the txt allowance (1000 vs. 500) of the W800i.

7. April 24th, 2006 | 12:12 am

500? Mine seems to bug out at 200. 1000 would be better, yes, but even so it’s still completely brain dead. Very disappointing from the company that brought us Erlang…

8. Linqded
    June 1st, 2006 | 11:06 pm

You’re correct… it is bad that the W800 doesn’t utilize it’s huge memory to save/store sms/texts..
    But i have found a sort of solution… ‘MyPhoneExplorer v1.4 @ http://www.fjsoft.at/en/‘ allows you to save almost everything off your w800 to your PC, thus allowing you to free up some space on the phone… Hope this helps a little :)

9. robert
    November 1st, 2006 | 10:33 am

hi, just read you comments – this will maybe help you…
    grz from germany

10. RIFAS
    January 20th, 2008 | 5:18 pm

there is a software for storing messages on your computer , by copying from w800i.”MOBILE EXPLORER”

11. January 21st, 2008 | 12:17 am

RIFAS: yeah, great, thanks for that articulate and helpful comment. This MOBILE EXPLORER sounds like a fantastic idea! I had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA “a software” or indeed “softwares” existed for “storing messages on my computer”. If only I had had the intelligence to, I don’t know, use a search engine or something, I might have been able to find such “a software” on my own. As it is, I had to wait for you to come and post on my blog and let me know it existed. Thanks!

I don’t use Windows, actually, so that’s useless to me. Also, I’m not entirely clueless, as you might guess if you read some more of the blog, and I’m perfectly capable of working out that it’s possible to get texts off the phone. My beef is _not_ that I can’t get the texts off the phone: it is that I have to too frequently. The existence of MOBILE EXPLORER (captialised or otherwise) or any other software for getting at texts makes absolutely no difference to the point of my post, ie that a phone with half a gigabyte of storage should be able to store more than 200 text messages. Indeed, the number of texts it is able to store should be, from my point of view, essentially unlimited. I’ll use software to back it up, yes, but when I want to, not when it tells me I must.

For what it’s worth, I use Blue Phone Elite under OS X to get the texts off.

12. April 1st, 2009 | 11:39 pm

And 3 years on and I’ve the new W890.And the software still “Blows petrified moose Cocks”!
    For Fxxk sake SoyXun!(Phone’s good,just crashes the PC!)